Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Anticipating Independence

I started my new classes today. I already like the teachers and content more than last month´s, and the schedule is better! So I hope it will be productive.

Also today, I finally came up with an idea for how to celebrate the 4th of July tomorrow. My american friends who are left and I are going to hold a picnic in the park for dinner, and invite all of our Spanish friends. And we´re going to bring traditional American foods. Namely...peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, some salads, chips, and apple pie. (if I can get permission to bake an apple pie tomorrow. Now I need to look for a good recipe!)

Does anyone else have suggestions for how to best celebrate the 4th while in Spain?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

What an opportunity to recognize the Spanish contribution to the development of the United States!

Ferdinand and Isabella sponsored Christopher Columbus, and later Spanish rulers established colonies throughout North and South America. Land now in Utah was once under Spanish rule.

Maybe you could celebrate the journey of Columbus by improvising a ship. You could stick some toothpicks into a slice of bread to be the masts and cut miniature sails out of a napkin, to place on the masts. Then you could sing a patriotic song such as "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean."

You could translate a few phrases of the Declaration of Independence into Spanish and recite them. You could find the Spanish constitution online and quote something from it that is modeled on the U.S. Constitution. You could note that Spain today is a modern democracy, where voters, not the monarchy, determine the country's direction. You could find pictures on the www.ldschurchnews.com website of general authorities meeting in Madrid with the current king and queen of Spain. You could display pictures of the Madrid Spain Temple. By the way, I was in Europe in 1969 when the first missionaries were allowed into Spain.

Let me know if you need any more ideas. I love this sort of brainstorming.

Mom

Gail said...

You could encourage all your readers to read my blog and judge the Cake Decorating Contest of Doom!

(This reminds me of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, where Cimorene holds a cooking tournament to see who earns the Frying Pan of Doom.)

You could act like a -real- American, swagger around, speak English, act ignorant, and bring up the Spanish Conquistadors' shameful history. Repeatedly! (Of course, acting like a -real- American college kid would involve going out to a bar, getting drunk, and singing our national anthem off-key. All of which would horrify your dear family as much as it would irritate the locals. Especially singing off-key.)

You like a new class better than the one on Islam? What are you studying?