Saturday, July 5, 2008

Please Swim Responsibly!

My friends, earlier in the week, had floated plans today about going to a pool in the afternoon. This sounded like great fun, but I had one problem: I lost my swimming suit after the ISA trip to the beach last weekend.

This made me slightly depressed -- it was a cute suit that my mother made for me. But...it was also at LEAST 7 years old. (I think she made it before girls camp my 2nd or 3rd year). So, logically, the only option I had was to go shopping! I wandered around for several hours, stopping in the malls and on the streets, looking for stores which sold swimsuits. I figured my best bet would be "sporty" stores, but the first two of those I found struck out...as did every other store.

You see, I had lots of options. I could buy any number of cute bikinis from 5-15 euros each. I could even buy lots of inappropriate 1-piece swimsuits for 10-25 euros each. But of course, being the good Mormon girl I was, I wanted something modest--and something which I knew could last a long time, since I would have to pay European prices for it. In one sports store I found some that mostly qualified (I or any of my mormon friends would call them modest; my mother wouldn´t). They ranged from 20-30 euros. But, I continued wandering around in the hot sun, searching for a better deal...

Finally, I stumbled upon a sports store in a backalley, which had a sizable collection of one-piece swimsuits. And what did I find? There was one suit there which just happened to be MORE modest than any my mother has ever made for me. It also -- coincidentally -- was exactly my size. Figuring that pleasing my mother in fashion (Even when she´s 6 time zones away and probably will never see me in a swimsuit again in my life, since I don´t live with her) was more important than the cost, I paid €33 for the suit.

I will now procede to cite this as another example of "Economically spurious, but morally responsible spending decisions by a devout Mormon daughter while travelling sans supervision in foreign countries" in order to gain bonus points (redeemable for cash when I have none) with my parents. :)

2 comments:

Gail said...

Yes, but how many other things have you done of which Mom would not approve which you simply have never -mentioned-? Aha, thought so.

(But good job on the bathing suit.)

Scholarastastic said...

Your mother MADE you a swimsuit?

I think my world just changed forever.